“The Next Chapter Begins.”
|Jackson Rathbone as Jasper Hale
Directed By: Chris Weitz
Written By: Melissa Rosenberg
Cast: Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson, Taylor Lautner
Release Date: November 20, 2009
Genre: Drama | Fantasy | Romance
MPAA Rating: PG-13
- Official Site
After Bella recovers from the vampire attack that almost claimed her life, she looks to celebrate her birthday with Edward and his family. However, a minor accident during the festivities results in Bella’s blood being shed, a sight that proves too intense for the Cullens, who decide to leave the town of Forks, Washington for Bella and Edward’s sake. Initially heartbroken, Bella finds a form of comfort in reckless living, as well as an even-closer friendship with Jacob Black. Danger in different forms awaits.
In Jasper’s first scene of the film, he uses his empathy to manipulate Bella’s mood to make her feel comfortable enough to attend her birthday party. At Bella’s party at the Cullen house, he remains distant and stays in the background for most of the scene. When it comes to gift opening time, Bella cuts her finger lightly and starts bleeding. Overcome with bloodlust, Jasper tries to attack Bella, but is stopped by Edward. Emmett and Carlisle manage to hold Jasper back, and Alice manages to calm Jasper down. After the attack, Jasper along with the rest of the Cullen family move from Forks.
After Bella saves Edward from committing suicide, Jasper returns to Forks with the rest of the Cullens. At the end of New Moon, Bella gathers the Cullens to vote whether for her to become a vampire or stay human, and he casts his vote to make Bella a vampire stating, “It would be nice not wanting to kill you all the time.”
• During the filming of Bella’s birthday party, Jackson Rathbone got so into character that both Peter Facinelli and Kellan Lutz had to hold him back. During one of the takes, Elizabeth Reaser was knocked to the ground.
• ‘New Moon’ began filming in March 16th 2009, in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
• Catherine Hardwicke, director of Twilight, the first movie in the Twilight Saga, was set to be the director of ‘New Moon’ as well. Unfortunately, due to scheduling conflicts, Hardwicke had to back out.
• Director Chris Weitz said this was a easier process than his other film The Golden Compass (2007) as he found “a lot less interference from Summit [Entertainment] and a lot more understanding of the books than New Line had of The Golden Compass” – which Chris said ended up being “completely re-cut” by the studio. He think that Summit Entertainment “understands the importance of the [Twilight] books – members of which who have read the books and appreciate them – not just see them as engines of possible profit”.
• Unlike the first film where Jackson dyed his hair blond, he wore a wig this time around.
• During the fight scene where Jasper is trying to attack Bella, Peter Facinelli accidentally knocked Jackson’s wig off. Jackson knew it, but kept running through the scene with the wig hanging off his head.
Bella: “Jasper… No fair with the mood control thing.”
Jasper: “Sorry Bella… Happy Bir… Nevermind…”
Jasper: “I vote yes. It would be nice not to want to kill you all the time. ”
“We have a bigger budget, we have a little more pressure to keep that feeling going, but the nice thing is that you’re delving more into the story now with New Moon. As the films progress, you get deeper into the lore and they mythical world you’re establishing with the werewolves and get more into what the werewolf society and legacy is. It keeps getting deeper.”
“Whenever we got back to film New Moon, the first day I was back, all the cast was hanging out in Peter Facinelli’s room and it was just like a family reunion. It was like we’d been away for a month; it didn’t seem like a year. It was just really nice to kind of get back together and have that family environment. In terms of having a new director, nothing really changed too much. It was just a different subtle vibe, because the director manages the energy on set. It was great. We all wanted to come together and make another great piece of art for the fans. It’s really about what they want to see, because they’re the ones buying the tickets.”
“Yup, I was flying and got to do some stunts on that, and that’s only the beginning of it. They didn’t show the entire [scene]. It’s going to be a really action-packed movie. And then you have the other side of the love story. It has a lot of elements that I think the fans have been waiting to sink their teeth into. … I’m sorry. I had to use that pun. It’s terrible [laughs].”
“My favorite character in New Moon that wasn’t in Twilight? I guess my favorite character in New Moon is a collective of the Volturi. It’s one of those things that’s really nice to see, these decadent older vampires that run this vampire society, if you will. I think they’re an amazing group of actors that we were able to get for the film, and they are very scary and intimidating. They’re all perfect. I mean, Dakota Fanning is a terrifying Jane; absolutely terrifying.”